Friday, April 9, 2010

My read-a-thon plans...

First, I suppose I should mention that if you haven't yet signed up to be either a reader or a cheerleader for Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-thon, then head over here and do so.

That being said, a lot of fun (at least for me) goes into the actual planning and prep for the read-a-thon...sometimes even more so than participating! I love writing the date down on the calendar, canceling almost all plans, picking out my books, and the ever-so-important donut selection (more on that later, promise!).

So, tomorrow unfortunately can't be completely dedicated to reading, as much as I would love it to be. It's spring time, which means beautiful weather and now that we own a home, also means...yard work. I plan on growing some veggies this summer, making weeding and prepping our garden space a necessity tomorrow. I've also been promising one of my dogs a hike for weeks (and don't try telling me she doesn't understand...she totally does!!), so that will probably be accomplished tomorrow as well. I do plan on getting a whole lot of reading and mini-challenges done though, which I'm very much looking forward to!

My book pile looks like this:

Titles include:

Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine
We the Children by Andrew Clements
Take me with You by Carolyn Marsden
The Nest for Celeste by Henry Cole
The Firefly Letters by Margarita Engle
Ways to Live Forever by Sally Nichols
The Total Tragedy of a Girl Named Hamlet by Erin Dionne
Silent Tears by Kay Bratt

A fairly good mix of review copies and library books, all are titles that I've been waiting to knock off my TBR pile. I highly doubt I'll finish all of them, but my strategy in past read-a-thons has always been to choose shorter titles and it usually works. Keeps my mind interested and helps me to feel like I accomplished a lot.

Now, onto the food! I allow myself to have donuts on two occasions throughout the year. The first is when we make the drive to Upstate NY. We normally leave about 4am to avoid D.C. and Baltimore traffic, so coffee is a must and the donuts are a treat. The second is on read-a-thon days. And I am VERY specific about my donuts. Laugh if you must! I get a chocolate creme and a chocolate glazed....and each time I send the hubby off for the donuts I must remind him that the chocolate glazed is NOT the same as a chocolate frosted. Better get it right, this is very important!

The rest of my food intake is fairly typical and not very exciting. I'll spend the day on the couch with the laptop next to me, half reading, half doing mini-challenges and other blog reading. I could get so much more reading done if I would just stay away from the computer! I'll also do periodic updates every couple of hours and let you know about my progress.

Can't wait to get started!


Kate T said...

I haven't heard of a single book on your list, so naturally I'm looking forward to reading the reviews! I can't wait for tomorrow! Good luck with your reading!

Myne Whitman said...

Good luck with the read-a-thon. I should try t get some books read myself too.

Have a nice weekend.

Jeane said...

I know what you mean about the home-owning. I'm growing a veggie garden now (my third year)and it's already got me so busy I hardly have time to read at all, much less all day!

Charlotte said...

Oh gosh, Amanda, I hope your preperations included having a Large box of tissues on hand--I started crying halfway through Ways to Live Forever and could hardly see the words to read by the end of it...Beautiful but so so so sad.