Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Thirteen Days to Midnight (YA review)

Jacket description: (from ARC)

"You are indestructible. These words transfer an astonishing power to Jacob Fielding, changing everything. There's something addictive about testing the limits of fear, experiencing the thrill of walking through fire, or saving your friend from a beating in front of the whole school.

Then Ophelia James, the beautiful and daring new girl in town, suggests that they use the power to do good, to save others at risk of death. But with every heroic act, the power grows into the specter of a curse. How to decide who lives and who dies? And why does darkness seem to be chasing them? Jacob has only thirteen days to figure out how to harness a power that even the world's greatest escape artist could not outrun...and the answer is chilling: What if he has to kill the one he loves to save her?"

Sooo...I love Patrick Carman. I really think he possesses an ultra-rare talent at connecting with teens through his writing...a talent that even the best of writers often don't possess. You'll never have to talk a teen into reading one of Carman's books, they'll already know about it and have read and shared it with friends. In his Skeleton Creek books, he grabs his readers by taking the idea of integrating the internet into the story, which was SO successful (and those books about made me pee my pants).

His latest, Thirteen Days to Midnight, is a complete nail-biter, filled with realistic kids placed in a fantasy story. The writing is not anything prize-winning. We're not talking about another When You Reach Me, Marcelo, or The Book Thief. BUT, we have something so intense in plot and truly fun to engage in, that teens will love it instantly. You won't have to do any convincing and they'll be passing the book onto their friends as soon as possible.

As adults, you may not love Thirteen Days to Midnight, but your kids will. Nothing literary about it, nothing you have to think on for days...just a good, fun story, with a fast-paced, nail-biter of a plot, and cool kids as main characters. Good enough for me!

Overall rating: 4 out of 5

Thirteen Days to Midnight
Patrick Carman
304 pages
Young Adult
Little, Brown
April 2010
Review copy received from publisher

To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon. I am an Associate and will receive a small percentage of the purchase price. Thanks!


GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

I have this sitting in my TBR pile. My teens and tweens LOVE Skeleton Creek-such a great booktalk. I saw Patrick Carman has another interactive series coming out and I know my readers will eat it up!

Charlotte said...

It sounds like a good one--I'll add it to my list!

Jill of The O.W.L. said...

I've heard that twice now about this book - that kids will love it even it adults don't. I'll be reading it and recommending in because it's teens I need to get reading :)

D.A. Tyo said...

So glad to see this post! My kids and I just met Patrick last night. (Take a peek at the pic on my blog.) He was in Ohio yesterday visiting two schools, doing a radio interview, and meeting readers at Books and Company near Dayton. What a cool guy! It's a no-brainer why he connects with teens so well.

I bought Thirteen Days to Midnight and am looking forward to reading it.

(Watch for the third Skeleton Creek book to come out in the fall!)

SWK said...

Heading straight out to pick up a Patrick Carman book for my teenager. Sounds like just the thing. Had not discovered him yet myself. Thanks for the recommendation.

Shelley said...

Yay! I'm always looking for more books for my son to read. I'll suggest this one to him, maybe after reading it myself!

Michelle said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Like you said it's not literary fiction but it was fun and fast paced and intirguing. I would think kids would gobble it up!