Thursday, May 6, 2010

Reading updates

Well the weather in in Northern Virginia has been just beautiful this week. Warm, sunny, breezy, not-too-humid. Perfect reading weather. The husband and I splurged on a nice hammock this past weekend, so I've been spending an hour or two each day, soaking up the sun (trying to get rid of the ghostly white skin before the beach vacation), reading some fantastic books.

What have I been reading?? Well, my book club has The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Zafon as our pick this month and I've just been savoring every, single word. It's been awhile since I've read true literary fiction and not something on the lighter side (or kid side) and apparently I've really missed having to read and think at the same time. This book came out a few years ago, so if you haven't grabbed it yet, I highly recommend you do so. I'll have a review out in the next week or so, once I've finally finished it. SO good.

I'm also working my way through One Good Dog by Susan Wilson. A lighter read, but one of the main characters is a stray pit bull and therefore, I love it. I hug my Shae a bit closer while I read that one.

On my nightstand I have From Cover to Cover by Kathleen T. Horning, a guide to "Evaluating and Reviewing Children's Books." I've only read a few pages, but I'm hoping it helps me to write better reviews. As of now I really just write out my thoughts and opinions, not really taking a specific reviewing approach, but eventually I might like to get a bit more professional.

I have an enormous pile of books to review, as always. I'm typically reading about 4 books at anytime...one adult title, one Christian title, one middle grade, one YA. And since I'm also done with both adult books I'm reading right now (both from the library) I'm going to be starting to glance at more of the review titles this afternoon. Forget-Her-Nots by Amy Brecount White, The Best and Hardest Thing by Pat Brisson, and The Wish Stealers by Tracey Trivas are on the top of the pile. Read them? Like them?

Ooooh and I've actually purchased a couple of books in the past few days, which doesn't happen very often. House Rules by Jodi Picoult, my favorite adult author was my first buy. It came out in March and I still don't own it...craziness. And today I bought Rick Riordan's latest, The Red Pyramid. I know there's some skepticism going around about how this series is also filled with mythology, but I don't care. I loved Percy Jackson and

So that's what's going on in my reading life....what's going on in yours?

To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon. I am an Associate and will receive a small percentage of the purchase price. Thanks!

3 comments:

Abby said...

I've been having a bout of reading ADD lately - I feel like I've been putting down more books than I've been finishing! I don't have any trouble putting down a book that doesn't capture my interest, but it's frustrating because it feels like a waste of time!

Jennie said...

I love From Cover to Cover. I don't know if it helped me write better reviews, but it made me become a much better evaluator and recommend-er of children's books. The chapter on easy readers alone is very awesome and helpful.

Tif said...

Shadow of the Wind is one of my all-time favorite books! It's beautiful and fun and suspenseful all at once!! LOVE it!!! Can't wait to hear what you think!