Tuesday, June 8, 2010

66 Love Letters review

Jacket description:
"Our lives are full, often complicated, and it seems we spend so much time attempting to fit God into our story that we don't allow ourselves to be lifted up into His story--an epic narrative that is mysterious, compelling, and utterly transforming.


Presented as a dialogue between one man and God, 66 Love Letters explores each book of the Bible as a letter from the Creator to you with the scarlet thread of Christ Himself woven through the pages and culminates in an epilogue that offers a summarized view of the entire Bible."

The entire concept of this book was intriguing to me. I wasn't quite sure how Crabb would pull off putting the actual voice of God into a book that's supposed to help us understand each Biblical book in a more profound way. I mean, writing God's voice...what someone thinks our Creator might say is a huge task and I wasn't entirely sure anyone could pull that off. Even after reading this and enjoying it and learning from it, I'm still not sure that the feat of putting words in God's mouth, hypothetical as they may be, can be successfully conquered by anyone.

Though Crabb certainly does bring a whole lot of insight into each book of the Bible, is it real insight or just what we want things to mean? Isn't he really just writing what his opinion is regarding interpretation? The answer to that is yes...he is just giving his opinion. And once I got over that hurtle and started using each chapter as a jumping off point for my own level of understanding, my read went much smoother and I found myself delving a lot deeper into my Bible reading than I had before. It took a little coaxing of my mind, but I really do feel that Crabb allowed my thinking to be deep and meaningful...more than with previous Bible study teachers.

You shouldn't necessarily read the book from cover to cover without stopping, but rather use it in conjunction with daily Bible readings or even do as I did and read the whole Bible from Genesis to Revelation with this to accompany you. I wouldn't recommend skipping around, as each "letter" builds on the last. And the Epilogue kinda mashes it all together in a readable synopsis. After having gone through it all once, I'll now use it as a reference source.


Overall rating: 4 out of 5
It takes a little getting used to, but it's definitely a helpful and unique manner of Biblical study. Frank conversations, bluntness, and easy to read format.


66 Love Letters: A Conversation with God That Invites You Into His Story
Dr. Larry Crabb
432 pages
Christian Non-Fiction
Thomas Nelson
9780849919664
January 2010
Review copy received from publisher



To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon. I am an Associate and will receive a small percentage of the purchase price. Thanks!

No comments: