Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Audiobook meme

Jen over at Devourer of Books is hosting Audiobook Week (so cool!) and is having us all join in a discussion each day, regarding audiobooks. Today's discussion is really a simple audiobook meme. Enjoy!


Audiobook are you currently reading/you read most recently: On my Ipod right now I have Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok, read by Grayce Wey.

Impressions?: I'm completely enthralled by the story and find myself stealing moments to put the earbuds back in! I typically listen while I walk or clean, but it's been so darn hot lately that walking is just not in the picture. Cleaning however? Always in the picture. The narration is fantastic and the overall book could really appeal to adults, whom it's marketed to, or teens.

How long you’ve been listening to audiobooks: About 7 years. I started really listening frequently when I was about 20, driving back and forth to college, but I'm sure I listened to them a time or two before that.

First audiobook you ever listened to: I'm fairly certain it was Deja Dead by Kathy Reichs. I listened to mostly mystery/thrillers when I first started out, as I was driving endlessly boring back roads. I needed something fast-paced.

Favorite audiobook title: Ooooh difficult! I really loved The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale and all of the Harry Potter books by J.K. Rowling. But I also favor the Twilight series and a Series of Unfortunate Events. Oh and The Forest of Hands and Teeth. Goodness, too tough to pick one!

Favorite narrator: I really enjoyed Vane Millon who narrated The Forest of Hands and Teeth, as well as Ilyana Kadushin who narrated the Twilight series.

How do you choose what to listen to versus read? I typically listen to adult titles...ones that I won't review on my blog (or give really short reviews to). It takes me awhile to get through an audiobook, so I don't like to listen to titles that I'm supposed to be reviewing.

Sometimes, it just has to do with what's available. Our library system takes FOREVER to get new YA/Children's titles on audio, so I usually end up going for classics or older reads at those age levels.

Head on over and join in the discussion!

5 comments:

blog said...

Hmmm, maybe I'll have to try The Forest of Hands and Teeth on audio-- I've heard so many good things about it.

Jen (Devourer of Books) said...

I really loved "Girl in Translation" in print, so glad to hear it is good in audio!

Nise' said...

I may have to listen to the Harry Potter series when I am finished with the Outlander series. So many have listed it as their favorite.

Kelly J. said...

I haven't listened to the Twilight series, but I've heard the audio is fantastic -- your agreement there might make me do it.

Just Mom said...

You're the second poster to mention The Goose Girl - I have to go look that one up! Here's my meme.