Monday, June 28, 2010

Non-Fiction Monday: Additions to Scientists in the Field

As a teacher, librarian, or homeschooling parent, if you have yet to pick up a "Scientists in the Field" book, you are really missing out. Each one has such an impressive amount of information, laid out in a readable fashion, and littered with beautiful photographs that really help to illustrate the text. I can't imagine a library keeping these on their shelves for very long...kids will snap them up as they walk by...the covers are awesome and totally inviting, and after flipping through, parents and teachers will be impressed with the educational level.

Two new ones are out (or coming out this summer) that I want to fill you in on so you'll go snatch them up at the stores or encourage your librarians to order them!

Project Seahorse by Pamela S. Turner (photographs by Scott Tuason) is definitely all things seahorse! We get to learn about how father seahorses actually give birth (go daddies!!) and how the seahorses can change their colors to blend in with their surroundings and an look into the seahorse trade. We're also given an behind-the-scenes glance at the lives and careers of some of the scientists studying seahorses around the world and helping to preserve their environments.

Included in the back is a glossary, resource section, and a list of ways that we can help seahorses in their environments, by doing simple things.

Kakapo Rescue: Saving the World's Strangest Parrot is by Sy Montgomery (wahoo!) with photographs by Nic Bishop. In this one, we venture to New Zealand, one of the most beautiful countries in the world (and I'm saying that without ever having been there) to learn about how scientists study the Kakapo parrot and help to save the species from extinction. The feats these scientist go through are truly inspiring and just may jumpstart a career mindset for your kids!

This one is a bit longer, with even more amazing photographs and lots of fact boxes inserted in the pages. I'm a big fact box fan! I read it from cover to cover and am already itching to know more about this really cool bird...

Again, I'm really endorsing this series and insist you run out and see for yourselves what I'm talking about. Educational, with inspirational stories, all written on topics and animals we don't often get such beautiful books written on. History is mixed with contemporary, cultural stories mixed with animal rescue. What could possibly be better than this in non-fiction?!

Overall rating: 5 out of 5 for both
Seriously go check them out. 

Project Seahorse
Pamela S. Turner
64 pages
Houghton Mifflin
July 2010
Review copy provided by publisher


Kakapo Rescue
Sy Montgomery
80 pages
Houghton Mifflin
May 2010
Review copy provided by publisher




To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon. I am an Associate and will receive a small percentage of the purchase price. Thanks!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

We just got Kakapo at our library, but I'm telling myself I have to wait to read it until it's been catalogued....I still have Seahorse on my wishlist to order, gotta see how the nonfiction budget goes. These don't fly off the shelf like they should, but whenever I find the space to display them they inevitably find the perfect reader.

Amanda said...

Really?! They don't just fly off the shelf? I haven't worked for awhile (stinking budget cuts), but I just imagine them being constantly checked out. High hopes I guess!

Jennifer said...

Well, I have a lower nonfiction circulation than I would like - the nonfiction shelves are to the back of the library and just seem to slide by people's eyes. I have long-range plans for a tween area that will go next to the NF shelves, which will make a difference and I've set aside several shelving units for nonfiction displays, which helps.

biblauragraphy said...

Hooray more Scientists in the Field! Can't get enough of these suckers.