Thursday, June 10, 2010

Updates, links, etc.

I've been meaning to do an update/link post every week this year...and I think I've churned out 3 or 4. Oh well, everyone has overly ambitious plans at one time or another right?

Last weekend I participated in MotherReader's 48 Hour Reading Challenge, which was a lot of fun, as it always is. I read/blogged/networked for just about 27 hours and raised $27.00 for this D.C. school. I'm all about helping out teachers and classrooms...anything to get children reading and enjoying books. Thanks again to MotherReader for hosting!

I found some great new blogs while participating in the reading challenge, which for me is almost the best part. Here are just two of the new blogs I added to my reader:

Madigan Reads
Book Clutter

After reading for a weekend, Natasha at MawBooks is hosting Bloggiesta, this coming weekend (starts TOMORROW!!), so we can all get our blogs into shape. Such a fantastic idea, though I'm not sure I'll be able to participate yet. We'll see though, I'm crossing fingers! If you saw my pile of reviews to written, you'd tell me I need to join up! Head on over and sign up.

I also wanted to link to a new feature by blogger Lisa over at Books Lists Life. She's super crafty and runs an Etsy store called Made by Lisah, but has started showing off some of her favorite crafty things that other Etsy users have made, over here. I've loved just about everything she's showcased, but I am more than a little in love with this wall tree

On Monday, Peachtree Publishers blog posted a fantastic write-up of what publishers are looking for in our review policies and on our blogs. From really well written review policies (and what to include in them), to using the correct spelling and grammar, to comments on posts, we're given a great overview on just what publishers are looking for in a review blog. Check it out!

Now for my personal reading updates. I haven't been finding as many YA/MG books that are holding my attention lately, leading me into an adult title whirlwind. I typically read maybe 2-3 adult titles, either fiction or non-fiction a month (not counting my audiobooks), but when I went to the library this past week to pick up holds, I had 11. Are lots of interesting titles just being published or am I just craving some writing aimed at those of us over the age of 17? I really try to focus on mainly kidlit for this blog, but I'll be sharing a bit more of my adult reading in the next few weeks. Hope you don't mind!

At this point, I'm completely involved in Insatiable by Meg Cabot. Wasn't aware that this was Adult until I started reading it (I thought it was YA), but as my first EVER Cabot read, I'm a little impressed.

I'm just finished The Pact by Jodi Picoult, who I've shamelessly listed as my favorite adult author for years. It was my choice for my weekly book club, and though I loved it when I read it 5 or 6 years ago, I wasn't in love with it this time through. Times change I suppose...

I'm probably going to pick up Will Grayson, Will Grayson next. Still can't believe it's taken me so long to get to that book.

Whew...lots of info. Off to the gym now!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Wasn't that wall tree adorable? I keep thinking of new color combinations. I still haven't posted something for today, might be time to take a moment and shop.