Monday, June 21, 2010

Why Audiobooks? My take...

Jen over at Devourer of Books is hosting Audiobook Week (so cool!) and is having us all join in a discussion each day, regarding audiobooks. Today's question is a simple one: Why Audiobooks?

Well, I've been a voracious reader since around the age of 4 and have always had the age-old problem of so many books, so little time. Back in the college days, I was driving an hour to and from my school and started the Kathy Reichs forensic series on audio. It was my first venture into the world of audiobooks and I was completely hooked. That two hours in the car flew by, as I listened to Temperence Brennan and her team solve murders around the country. Those audiobooks solved my problem of not having any time to read, due to car time/homework/job/etc.

Now that I mainly focus on YA/Children's books to read and review, my audio choices are typically from adult authors...all those books that I want to read, but may not be reviewing for the blog. I listen mainly while working out, but also when out in the garden, doing those pesky household chores, cooking, and occasionally on our trips to NY. It's fantastic to be able to accomplish tasks and still get some reading done in the process. I also have at least one audiobook going, while reading three physical books. Keeps things interesting!

Head over and join the discussion, lots of great answers!

8 comments:

Sarah said...

I just cannot concentrate enough on audiobooks to get the full story. Not when I'm working out, driving, doing chores, anything. THe only time I've ever been a voracious audiobook listener is when I was doing data entry and I needed something to pass 8 hours.

Jen (Devourer of Books) said...

I'm loving hearing how everyone got into audiobooks in the first place!

Shelley (Book Clutter) said...

I usually go for music to listen to while working out, but today I tried listening to an audiobook while doing a strength-training video. It was interesting!
In general I do love the multitasking side of audiobooks!

Kelly J. said...

Everyone sharing their stories is inspiring ... I've been wanting to try the listening while working out routine. It sounds like it works quite well for you.

I might have to seek out the Kathy Reichs books - they sound like great listening.

Diane said...

I love audio books as well and have been listening to them for about (10) years. I think my first audio books were ones by Anne Tyler or Barbara Kingsolver, and James Patterson. It's easy to multi-task and enjoy a book, so what a reader's dream :)

middle grade ninja said...

I love audio books! They help me sneak in more reading when I'm doing the dishes, working out, or driving. Stephen King's IT finally came out on audio book last month and it rules!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

It takes me about three hours to mow our lawn. With audio - that is three hours of uninterrupted book!

Callista said...

I've only listened to 2 audio books and only one was good and it was on an ipod. I think that's the only way I could listen to anymore audio books but I don't have my ipod anymore.