Saturday, July 31, 2010

Picture Book Saturday: Karma Wilson Day!

I honestly think Karma Wilson is my favorite picture book author. I've never come across a book of her's that I didn't just LOVE and almost every single one makes a fantastic read aloud, for both storytime or just family time.

I got The Cow Loves Cookies in the mail the other day and I think it may just be my favorite out of all of Wilson's books. Or at least a close second with Whopper Cake. A super-cute rhyming story about all the typical things that farm animals eat...like the geese that eat corn and the horse that eats hay. Except of course, the cow that loves cookies. Can't forget him!

The story is funny, the illustrations (by Marcellus Hall) compliment the text perfectly, and even as an adult you'll have a hard time not completely laughing out loud while reading it. I can totally seeing this being a great read aloud for a storytime, accompanied with some farm crafts...and of course, milk and cookies!

Karma Wilson has a ton of great books out there, all of which I would recommend to readers, young and old. A few of my favorites:

Whopper Cake: Grandpa and his grandkids make a whopper of a cake for Grandma's birthday. Nice to share with the family, especially if you make the cake recipe out of the back at the end!

A Frog in the Bog: total tongue twister and counting book. Another hysterical read aloud that will have your kids squirming and giggling all over the place.
Bear Snores On (and all the subsequent "Bear" books): Great rhymes, fun friends, and absolutely adorable illustrations.

Mortimer's First Garden: A great Christian story about a sweet mouse focusing on the hard work of prayer and the awesome reward.


I highly recommend picking up a Karma Wilson book (or two or four!)...you won't regret it and your kiddos will thank you!





To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon. I am an Associate and will receive a small percentage of the purchase price. Thanks!

2 comments:

Abby said...

I love The Cow Loves Cookies, too! My cousins in Florida have a son and my mom loves to send him books for his birthday and Christmas, so every August and December she asks me what I recommend and then she sends some to him. This is one of the books I suggested! (He's turning 3 - such a fun age!)

Jennifer said...

I've ordered Cow loves cookies, but I hadn't heard of Whopper Cake. That sounds like fun!