Sunday, August 22, 2010

Be Compassionate review

 I am such a huge fan of Warren Wiersbe's commentaries. Seriously, can't get enough of them! I end up flagging so many pages and verses and quotes that by the time I'm done with the study, there is almost more pink flags than there are pages.Always a good sign when it comes to non-fiction!

Be Compassionate is a study of Luke 1-13 and focuses on the compassion of Jesus and His work in the lives of those that need that compassion the most. Through these chapters, each centering on a different chapter(s) of Luke and the journey Jesus took on Earth, we are given a detailed breakdown of exactly what happened, why it happened, and how it should be affecting our lives today.

Every point made is illustrated with a fantastic example and a thought-provoking explanation. One of my favorites:
"Whenever we label different spheres of our lives "physical," "financial," "material," or "spiritual," we are bound to leave God out of areas where He rightfully belongs. Christ must be first in everything or He is first in nothing (51)."

I'm always really impressed with how much I learn from these small books. Between the historical concepts, cultural overviews, Scripture, and detailed descriptions, I always feel like I've really taken a step into the Bible and am really understanding the Word. And at the end of each chapter we're given questions about what we learned, which really helps to make the material stick and would be great for a group study guideline. I've always done these studies on my own, but would really enjoy doing on in a Bible study group as well.

This is a great series to immerse yourself in, especially if you're new in your walk with God.


Overall rating: 5 out of 5

Be Compassionate: Let the World Know that Jesus Cares
Warren W. Wiersbe
192 pages
Christian Non-Fiction
David C. Cook
978-1434765024
July 2010
Review copy received from publisher



To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon. I am an Associate and will receive a small percentage of the purchase price. Thanks!

2 comments:

Annette said...

I'm a fan of Warren Wiersbe as well. I have the New Living Translation Study Bible that he is the editor of and I love it!
Thanks.

Amanda said...

Annette, thanks so much for the tip! I've been looking for a study Bible for quite awhile and I didn't realize Wiersbe had edited one. I'm all about that!