Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, and June review

After reading a bunch of dark, dismal, and heavy books I was definitely ready for something lighter and fun. Robin Benway's latest novel (after hilarious Audrey, Wait!) delivered on the fun and entertainment factor AND had a really solid story to go along with that. Cool cover too.

April, May, and June are sisters, with very unoriginal parents (at least in the name department), who interact pretty much as normal sisters do. Some days they really like one another, others they're picking on one's fashion sense, one's uptightness, and one's total lack of motivation. Overall, they have the back of each other, not matter what.

When they all wake up one morning, each possessing a different power, they know they're going to need all the help they can get to learn to understand what they can do and how to control it. April can suddenly see the future, May can disappear, and June can read minds. Not bad for a bunch of typical teenage girls!

Lots of humor is injected into the pages, along with a bit of romance and some super-tense moments.  Each character has her own quirks and was presented as a real teen girl, with real teen problems. April, the straight-oldest sister, starts to like a bad boy, May is having a very difficult time dealing with their parents divorce, and poor June, a freshman in high school, just wants to make friends with the popular crowd. Benway really created a successful novel with her realistic characters.

If you were a fan of Audrey, Wait! I would definitely recommend picking this one up. And if you haven't read that one, I still recommend it! Teens will love the writing style and the inclusion of the fantastical element.
Overall rating: 4 out of 5

The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, and June
Robin Benway
281 pages
Young Adult
Razorbill
978-1595142863
August 2010
Review copy received from publisher



To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon. I am an Associate and will receive a small percentage of the purchase price. Thanks!

4 comments:

YA reader said...

Great review! My favourite book that I read last year was 'Audrey, Wait!' so I'm absolutely desperate to read this. Glad you enjoyed it :)

Nise' said...

I loved Audrey, Wait! so I will definitely read this one.

Abby said...

Oh, good. I almost bought this one a couple weeks ago, but I wasn't sure about the whole magic element, so I passed. I will definitely look for it now! :) Thanks for the review!

Sarah said...

I really enjoyed her second book too. Good review! Mimics what I thought.