Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Grimm Legacy review

I had a lot of fun reading Polly Shulman's latest book, which is filled to the brim with magic and fantasy!

I think I would be friends with Elizabeth, our main character in this story. She's book smart, a little lost, but completely in love with her new job at the New York Circulating Material Repository. Though, at first, the Repository seems like nothing more than a strange library, Elizabeth quickly learns that patrons are able to borrow magical real magical items...there's the famous mirror from Snow White, a mermaid's comb that makes your hair beautiful, flying carpets, dancing slippers, and anything else from past fairy tales that you could imagine.

Elizabeth and her new work friends are thrust into a mystery, when magical items from the Repository begin to go missing. In the midst of the mystery, a couple of romances perk up, some great friendships form, and a huge bird makes an appearance. A lot of fun elements are mixed in with really good writing and a unique concept. 

The idea of being able to borrow magic items will appeal to fantasy lovers of all kinds and the sub-plots are well-incorporated and thought out. Though marketed towards the YA set, the language and style will please middle graders as well. I was very pleased with my first Polly Shulman book and will be seeking out Enthusiasm, as soon as possible!

Just a note...I read from an ARC and the title on that copy was The Grimm Collection. So, those of you that also had ARCs, the title appears to have changed to The Grimm Legacy. The cover is fantastic!

Overall rating: 4 out of 5

The Grimm Legacy
Polly Shulman
336 pages
Young Adult
July 2010
Review copy received from publisher

To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon. I am an Associate and will receive a small percentage of the purchase price. Thanks!


Mel said...

This book just came in at my library. You are right the cover art is fantastic. I can't wait to read it.

Sarah said...

Enthusiasm is so great, I think you'll really like it, especially if you're a P&P fan! I can't wait to read this new one.

christina said...

This book sounds so cool! I must check it out.