Monday, August 30, 2010

Non-Fiction Monday: The Bat Scientists

 Alright, so I have to be honest...I hate bats. I know, I know, bats aren't out to hurt humans or even interact with us, but seriously...they terrify me. If you had one get stuck in your hair when you were seven years old, innocently eating breakfast at the kitchen table, you would be scared of them too! That being said, they are still fascinating creatures and one of those animals that kids seem to be really interested in learning about. So, I'm taking one for the team today!

The latest "Scientists in the Field," book is The Bat Scientists by Mary Kay Carson and since I love this series as much as I do, I had to take a deep breath and dive into the world of bats. Am I still scared of them? Totally. But, I learned a whole lot of new information and am more in love with this series than ever. Every school library and public library need to have them on their shelves.

So, The Bat Scientists focuses on Dr. Merlin Tuttle and his team at Bat Conservation International as they fight to save bats from extinction and educate the public (like me!) on facts about these misunderstood animals. As with most titles in this series, we get a lot of background on the mission of the organization, what they do on a regular basis, and the reasons they're doing it. We also get fact boxes, maps, definitions, and tons of awesome photographs (this time by Tom Uhlman).

I am always so impressed with these books, as they present such a huge amount of information in a totally readable manner. You can sit down and read the book and not only learn about the animals that are being focused on, but also on different organizations around the world set on conservation and preservation of the world's species.

Definitely a must-have.

Overall rating: 5 out of 5

The Bat Scientists
Mary Kay Carson
80 pages
Non-Fiction
Houghton-Mifflin
978-0547199566
September 2010
Review copy received from publisher



To learn more or to purchase, click on the book cover above to link to Amazon. I am an Associate and will receive a small percentage of the purchase price. Thanks!

5 comments:

Abby said...

Ahhh! I love bats!! The helpful animal I am terrified of is bees. :)

I don't think I would probably love bats if one had ever gotten tangled in my hair, though...

Amanda said...

I'm such a baby. Bat incident was 20 years ago...you would think I would have gotten over it by now! Nope!

Madigan McGillicuddy said...

I love this scientists series. I have a special fondness for bats after spending a few years in Austin, TX.

Brimful Curiosities said...

I just read an article today in the Wisconsin State Journal about a new fungus disease that is killing off bats. Even though I shake at the thought of encountering a bat, I hate to hear news like that. This book sounds very informative.

Mary Kay said...

Thanks, Amanda, for reviewing the book. Hopefully it will help young people today retain their awe of these amazing creatures and not learn to needlessly fear them. As some of the others have commented, yes, bats are in trouble these days so need all the help they can get.