Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Blessings of the Animals review

When an author combines love and animals in the same novel, I'm pretty much guaranteed to pick it up. But when there's love and animals AND one of my favorite bloggers raves about how much she loves the book, you know I'm going to be picking it up! 

The proverbial rug has been pulled out from under Cami Anderson. Her husband up and leaves her one day, without warning, moving in with a woman much too close to their daughter's age, and refuses to try to work things out. Cami, a veterinarian, throws herself into her work and into the lives of her many friends, determined not to be broken by this man and to set a good example for her daughter, though she feels like doing just the opposite.
What the reader witnesses is a transformation in Cami, in a beautiful horse, in a cat, and in a myriad of wonderful friends and family. Each character (and there are many) has a certain richness and love about them that makes you want to keep reading about their stories, even when they aren't shown in a particularly good light. You connect with Davy and David as they attempt to adopt their first child; with Tyler as he tries to move on from his breakup with Gabriella, while still working at Cami's clinic; and with Moonshot, a horse with an attitude, but a huge heart. You'll laugh with all of them and you'll be heartbroken as each moves through the hard parts of love. Love in its many wondrous and devastating forms.

Whether describing human emotion or animal emotion, Kittle will hit you hard with her beautiful writing and well-crafted storytelling. I was impressed with how well she was able to describe the connection between human and animal, and found myself in tears as I realized that I had...in print...just how my own animal saved me. Cami and Moonshot? They were myself and Shae not too long ago. I didn't suffer from a divorce, but the pain of devastation and the pure sadness that I felt were hauntingly similar. And though I thought those emotions were indescribable, Kittle indeed described them.

You will not want to put this book down until you finished it all and even then, you won't be able to stop think about Cami or any of the other characters. And then you'll want to run out and get this for all of your girlfriends, your mom, your sister. It's that good. 

The Blessing of the Animals
Katrina Kittle
464 pages
Adult Fiction
Harper Perennial
978-0061906077
August 2010
Book borrowed from my local library

1 comment:

Jenn's Bookshelves said...

Yay! I'm so glad you loved it :)