Monday, September 27, 2010

Non-Fiction Monday: Frozen Secrets

Ok, so call me a geek, but I think anything about Antarctica is just so, incredibly cool. No pun intended. It is just amazing that animals and organisms and all that science stuff can actually survive in such a freezing climate, successfully! I even went through a penguin phase in my teen years, where I was obsessed with anything that had to do with Emperor penguins, because I just found them so fascinating. I've since moved onto dogs, but I suppose that's irrelevant. 

When this book came for review, I knew I would like it for two reasons. For reason number 1, see above. Reason number two is that it's written by Sally M. Walker, author of the amazing Written in Bone, which I also really loved. This woman does her research! From page one of Frozen Secrets, with it's amazing satellite photograph of Earth, to the very end where you'll find an extensive index, glossary, bibliography, and source note references, you will easily be able to tell how much time went into creating an informative and interesting book about this crazy cold continent. 

Tidbits about the first expeditions to the continent in the early twentieth century are followed up with current methods of research of the region and how humans actually manage to survive when exploring there. Amazing photographs accompany each page, some of the tools used to first explore, some of what's under all the ice, and some of animals and landscape. All are fabulous. My favorite is on page 22 and features a tent pitched on the flat ice, with the Northern Lights illuminating the sky. I cannot imagine what it would be like to see those! 

This book would be an excellent classroom resource for units on exploration, Antarctic wildlife, and scientific research. Sally Walker has now twice proven herself to be a fantastic writer of non-fiction for teens and middle graders and I'm definitely looking forward to what she sends out next. 

Frozen Secrets: Antarctica Revealed
Sally M. Walker
104 pages
Non-Fiction
Carolrhoda Books
978-1580136075
October 2010
Review copy provided by publisher

4 comments:

Abby said...

Oh, yes, I loved this one, too! I am a huge fan of Sally Walker's stuff.

middleschoolbookreviews said...

Sounds so interesting! I'm not one for ice and snow, so Antarctica has never really called to me (except for penguins, of course), but then I read and reviewed a middle school book about a failed expedition of Shackleton's that was fascinating. A young man stows away on a ship headed for Antarctica and ends up, along with Shackleton and the rest of the crew, in a two-year fight for survival:

http://middleschoolbookreviews.wordpress.com/2010/05/12/shackleton's-stowaway-by-victoria-mckernan/

Amanda said...

It really was interesting and fun to look through!

Three Turtles and Their Pet Librarian said...

Have you read Troubling a Star by Madeleine L'Engle? I happened to pick it up today at lunch when I was without a book. It has been long enough that I forgot exactly who the bad guys are, so now I have to reread it before Cybils starts:)