Monday, September 6, 2010

What I've been up to

These past couple of weeks have flown by in some sort of supersonic blur that I can only half remember, but know I enjoyed. I finally got a job working for our local children's indie bookstore and will now be occupied Monday through Friday. How awesome is that?! I'm ridiculously excited about it and have already loved my first two weeks there. It is definitely taking some getting used to for all of us, with me being gone and dinner not immediately being done at 5pm anymore, but it's working out.

I'll still be blogging and all that fun stuff, it just may not be quite as regular as it is now. I'm also considering possibly stopping one or both of my regular features. I participate in Non-Fiction Monday and host my own Picture Book Saturday each week, and I'm not sure if I'll continue with them. Feedback on that would be awesome, especially if you're a regular reader of either feature. I get a consistent amount of site hits on those days, but I'm not sure if those are actual readers of the features or just those browsing the blog.

In the midst of all the new job mayhem, the husband and I took a weekend trip up to NY in honor of Labor Day for a BBQ and some good family time. I think it was our fourth or fifth trip up there this summer! We've already decided that we won't be heading up there anymore until Christmas...seven hours each way isn't a long time until you do it five times. I'm wiped!

We had a great time though, lots of relaxing and playing with our nephews, making s'mores, hanging out in the hot tub and all the guys flying their planes...and eating of course! The Snow's chicken BBQ is famous in the Canandaigua/Newark area and I'm thrilled to be able to get the recipe whenever I want! I read a lot too, especially now that my job requires a whole lot of ARCs to be read, so I downed about 3 this weekend. Reviews to come for some great titles in next month or so. 

So that's what I've been up to, anyone else doing anything fun and exciting lately?

8 comments:

Michelle said...

What did you have the opportunity to read? Sounds like you had the perfect weekend, well minus the very long drive both ways and all. Congrats again on the job, I'm super jealous!

Amanda said...

I finished up Wildthorn (review tomorrow), read Half Brother by Kenneth Oppel and almost all of The Things a Brother Knows by Dana Reinhardt. It was nice to get so much ready accomplished!

Sarah said...

While I don't always comment on Picture Book Saturday, I really like that feature!

I'm so glad the job is going well. :D

Abby said...

Congrats on the job! It sounds like an awesome gig! I read both NF Monday and PB Saturday, but I subscribe to your blog, so I read all your posts. :)

Three Turtles and Their Pet Librarian said...

I vote for keeping Picture Book saturday, too.

I went to a you-pick apple place this weekend. Bad idea. There's always just one more apple you want to grab before you head to the weighing station. They gave me a really good deal, though, when they saw how much I had - came out to about 70 cents a pound...for 223 pounds...so, yeah, not only was that (picking, cooking, canning apples) what I did this weekend, but the last two are what I will be doing for quite some time...

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Good for you, Amanda! I'm thrilled.

Here's to lots of satisfying years ahead.

Bridget R. Wilson said...

Congrats on the job, Amanda. It sounds like fun.

I really like your Picture book Saturday posts. I will miss them if you take them away.

Amanda said...

Thanks for all the input guys! I'm really glad that you all enjoy Picture Book Saturday...I'll keep it around :) Though I certainly don't expect comments each week, i just wanted to make sure people were actually LIKING the posts!