Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Monsters of Men review

Spoiler Alert!!

If you haven't read The Knife of Never Letting Go or The Ask and the Answer, then stop reading now. Go read those two and then come back :)

Monsters of Men picks up immediately where The Ask and the Answer left off. Todd has let the hated Mayor go, though he had a chance to kill him or at the very least, leave him for dead, but feeling the people of New Prentiss will only listen to the Mayor in regards to battle, Todd releases him and what follows is a horribly violent, scary war between the Ask, the Answer, and the Spackle. 

Todd, at the Mayor's side at all times, is almost beginning to enjoy his company, though the reader can tell that is due to the brainwashing of the Mayor and his tricky tyrant techniques. Viola is working with members of her colony, whose ship has finally arrived, as well as the Mistress Coyle (who has turned into an almost terrorist maniac) and the Spackle are just out to kill anyone in their path for revenge. Everyone is supposedly working towards peace, but only on their own terms. 

Patrick Ness has turned this non-sci fi fan into a lover of the genre with this trilogy. The characters are so amazingly written and the stories are more intense than most things I've ever read. Todd and Viola are two of the most well-developed characters I've come across and their stories are rich with detail and description. Each time I finished a book, I just sat back in contemplation of what I'd just read, almost needing to decompress for awhile...they're that good. 

I've book talked this series more times than I can count and 9 times out of 10, I'm able to sell it. Even if you aren't a fan of "sci-fi" these are almost more dystopian than science fiction. They do take place on a different planet, there are "space ships" mentioned, and the Spackle are some sort of alien being, but those are all such minor aspects of the stories. Definitely start with the first one, read it yourself, gift it to a reluctant reader (boys will eat it up), and then please beg Patrick Ness to start another series pronto!

Monsters of Men
Patrick Ness
608 pages
Young Adult
September 2010
Borrowed copy

1 comment:

April (BooksandWine) said...

I am so with you on this series being awesome. I wish I could book talk it, but alas I am not a librarian yet!