Monday, October 11, 2010

Non-Fiction Monday: I Feel Better with a Frog in My Throat

As a kid, I remember thinking it was so funny when adults would talk about "the olden days" when they were young and how things were so much different in terms of safety, health care, technology, playtime, etc. And when I saw this book, it totally reminded me of that! We may think that the manner in which people "cured" ailments long ago was strange, but who knows what the future generations will say about our methods today!

I Feel Better with a Frog in My Throat: History's Strangest Cures is by Carlyn Beccia and features a range of cures used way back when, some of which actually helped and some that are just plain weird!

Coughs in Ancient China, for example, were "cured" by caterpillar fungus, while Ancient Native Americans preferred to use cherry bark (which was a true cure). In Ancient Greece, wounds were cured by puppy kisses (yay!), while in Ancient Egypt they used moldy bread. And for fevers? Ancient Romans preferred to shock you with an electric eel, while the Ancient Greeks just poured mustard on your head. Prehistoric man just put a hole in your head....I think I prefer the previous two! 

A whole lot of fun for those kids that really like the gross stuff for entertainment, as well as history buffs that think the methods of ancient humans are just plain interesting. I had fun reading through the book and looking at the illustrations, but beware, some are definitely gross!

I Feel Better with a Frog in My Throat: History's Strangest Cures
Carlyn Beccia
48 pages
October 2010
Review copy received from publisher


shelf-employed said...

Thanks for pointing this one out. Ours has not come in yet, but I've placed a hold on it based on your recommendation. :)

Rasco from RIF said...

Thanks for highlighting this book...this would go over BIG at RIF distributions. I love the "puppy kisses" cure - puppy kisses are good for a number of ailments, I believe!

Melissa Taylor said...

I just got sent this to review for my blog and LOVE it - so do my kids! What a fantastic non-fiction book.

Vicky Alvear Shecter said...

Can't wait to read this one!