Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Bright Young Things review

If you've been dying for a new novel by Anna Godbersen like I have been, your wait is finallllly over. Bright Young Things takes all the awesome parts about The Luxe series and puts them into a story about three girls in 1929 during Prohibition.

Letty and Cordelia are small town girls from Ohio, dreaming of making it big in New York City. Astrid is a rich girl spending her days lunching at the country club and her nights roaming the speakeasies of New York. The girls' lives intertwine in typical Godbersen fashion, filled with romance, mysterious characters, secrets, and the best lies found in YA fiction. Hearts are broken, money is lost/gained, and friends are most definitely made and lost.

The detailed descriptions of the setting, fashion, and characters are what really made this book stand out for me. I don't think I've ever read a fictional story about life during Prohibition for the rich (or the poor for that matter), but I was completely pulled into this one!  Like a soap opera, you won't be able to wait until the next episode...

And just a note on the covers, I'm not sure who decides on the art for Harper books, but they deserve a huge raise. All of the Luxe books and now Bright Young Things have been so incredibly brilliant in their cover art that you can't help but pick them up and flip them around to see the rest of the beautiful gowns on the girls.

I can't wait to start handing this one to teens. And I definitely can't wait for book 2!


Bright Young Things
Anna Godbersen
400 pages
Young Adult
Harper
978-0061962660
October 2010
Book borrowed from my local library

3 comments:

Amy said...

It sounds good! I do want to read it, love the time period!

Marg said...

Anna Godbersen definitely has been lucky with covers!

Michelle said...

This was my first Godbersen book and I enjoyed it. I enjoyed the setting the most. I'm interested to see what the second book gives us as a result of the first.