Saturday, December 18, 2010

Picture Books Saturday: Christmas Favorites!

Christmas is next week (AHHHHH!!!), so it's time for some Christmas favorites. No real "reviewing" going on here, just some reasons why I keep these on my shelves. Merry Christmas reading!

The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree by Gloria Houston an illustrator Barbara Cooney

An oldie, but goodie! Even as a child I loved the story of this Appalachian town and their Christmas tree.


The Steadfast Tin Soldier by Hans Christian Anderson and illustrator Fred Marcellino, retold by Tor Seidler

Another oldie! This is one of the first stories I remember my mom reading me when I was little.


The Nutcracker by Alison Jay

This one just came out this year and I already love it. Jay is one of my favorite illustrators and she's taken one of the most popular Christmas stories and combine it with those crackle paintings I like so much. Beautiful!


This is the Stable by Cynthia Cotten and illustrator Delana Bettoli

One of my favorite stories of the birth of Christ. Simple, direct, yet totally readable for little kids. 

Bear Stays Up by Karma Wilson

If you read this blog often enough, you'll know that Karma Wilson is one of my favorite picture book authors and I LOVE her "Bear" books. 


The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg

Duh. 


No comments: