Friday, January 14, 2011

Room review

A seriously heavy book. This one has received a ton of hype and I think rightfully so, if only because of the subject matter. Room is an intense and riveting story of a boy, his mother, and the place that they call home. Told from the perspective of Jack, a five-year-old boy, we learn he has spent his entire five years living within the walls of a single room, where his mother had been placed after her kidnapping. He enjoys many things that typical boys enjoy, like playing pretend, coloring, watching television, and making forts, but has never been outside the confines of "Room."
When Jack and his mom are suddenly thrust out into the world, away from the only home Jack has ever known, what seems like new blessings become confusing and overwhelming events. Jack has to learn what cars are, what the sky is, all different kinds of new foods, and many, many other things that most people take for granted. He is overstimulated and scared of his new environment, as is his mother.

The story is incredibly powerful and written in such a way that the reader is left feeling as if though they really did experience everything through a five-year-old's eyes. The dialog is impressive and the overall effect chilling. It made me feel incredibly uncomfortable while reading it (which was probably the author's point) and I could only read it in small doses. It's a haunting read that will stick with you long after you've finished the last page.

Room
Emma Donoghue
336 pages
Adult fiction
Little, Brown, and Company
9780316098335
September 2010
Purchased copy

4 comments:

Sarah said...

That's exactly how I had to read it too, in small doses because it was so discomforting and hard to absorb that this could be happening. I finished it but it went a lot slower than some of my other books.

Padfoot and Prongs - Good Books Inc. said...

Always like to see reviews of insanely popular books! Nice one.

Janssen said...

I am so looking forward to this one. If you can say that about a book of such subject matter.

jhindley said...

I started this last night, and I have to agree. I can't just sit and read it; I will have to alternate between something a little lighter (like Harry Potter!) to keep my sanity.