Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Top Ten Books I Wish I'd Read as a Kid


This is my first Top Ten Tuesday and I'm really excited to start participating! Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, each week a different "Top Ten" topic is chosen and a whole bunch of bloggers share their thoughts. I'm all about community, so here we go!

For this being my first post, I actually had a bit of trouble coming up with books! I read so many books as a kid, that I covered most of the typical picks for children's books. I really did read them as a child! So, I've actually read most of these titles, but wish I could have read them as a kid...if they had been around all those years ago.

A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
-I've read all of these, own all of them, and have listened to them on audio and recommend them all the time. I first read them when I was in my early 20's, but I think I would have appreciated them even more, if I had been 10! 

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
-Again, I read these in my early 20's and SO wish I could have had them a 9 or 10.

The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
-I just read this for the first time this past year and I fell SO in love with the story and the land of Bayern. I can see why kids and adults love the writing and I think, as a kid, I would have been even more enchanted.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
-When I was a teen, there wasn't nearly the YA market that there is now. As a 16-year-old, I think Katniss could have set my YA reading world on fire (no pun intended) and really got my friends and I talking about books geared for our age group. 

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
-Seeing a pattern yet? I read mainly realistic fiction as a kid and all of these great fantasy books would have boggled my mind as a kid!

The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall
-When I listened to this in my car over the summer, I remember wishing that my mom could have read this aloud to me when I was little. Such a fantastic family book. 

Circus Ship by Chris Van Dusen
-I actually hadn't heard of this one until I started working at my current job and I love the book! It would have made a great read aloud in our family.

Fancy Nancy by Jane O'Connor
-I would have eaten this up as a little girl and probably would have attempted to BE Nancy.

The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann David Wyss
-This is actually one I haven't read, but wish I had as a kid. And really need to read it now.

And that's only 9, but close enough!

7 comments:

Three Turtles and Their Pet Librarian said...

Can you believe I still haven't read Inkheart? Maybe when I'm on maternity leave and have loads of free time...

YA reader said...

This is such a great post!

I read the Penderwicks when it was first published when I was at primary school and actually picked up a French copy to help with my learning of the language because I loved the story so much.

I need to read Inkheart and Goose Girl desperately! I have copies of both.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I know what you mean about reading mostly realistic books and then coming across a really rich fantasy world in your reading! =)

Nice twist on the topic, by the way. There are so many great new YA and MG titles. I don't know if the kids these days appreciate what they're going to be nostalgic for ten years down the road!

Shelly B said...

I read a lot of books as a child too. Your list is a good one for children today...hope they will enjoy them as much as we have.

Jayme @ Horribly Bookish said...

Swiss Family Robinson is on my list too. And I would have love Fancy Nancy. She's tres chic and would have fit well in my girly childhood :) Great list!

Peaceful Reader said...

I love lists...might have to check out this meme. I loved Inkheart and want to read Goose Girl.

Honeythorpe said...

I would totally have loved the Penderwicks if they'd been around when I was small. I shall always regret that I did not discover Diana Wynne Jones as a child. It almost makes me cry when I think that the first book in the Chrestomanci series was published in 1977 when I was 5 (and the latest just a year or two ago). I've missed out on some 30 years of reading, savouring, and rereading her books. Instead I have devoured them in a great gulp in the last few months!