Monday, March 21, 2011

Non-Fiction Monday: What to Expect When You're Expecting Larvae

Just from the title you can tell that this book is going to be fairly humorous, both for parents and the kids! A play on the bestselling What to Expect When You're Expecting (for humans of course) this book is a crash course for new insect parents on how to care for their insect babies. 

Each page features a question from a new insect parent, such as "what will my babies look like?" and "what should I do when my children have wings?" The answers are written in a fun and frank way that educates children on simple facts about specific bugs in a totally unique way. 


We learn that ladybug parents and babies eat the same thing--aphids. We also learn that a hornworm caterpillar (the baby of a sphinx moth) can multiply its weight by ten thousand in just sixteen days. Impressive! All different types of cool information, from staying safe and finding a home to meals and growing patterns are presented. 


A glossary is included in the back for extra info. 

I wasn't thrilled with the illustrations, but I loved the book overall. It will definitely get kids to pick it up and once they start browsing the silliness will draw them in. Lots of fun!

What to Expect When You're Expecting Larvae: A Guide for Insect Parents (and Curious Kids)
Bridget Heos
32 pages
Non-Fiction
Middle Grade
Millbrook Press
9780761358589
March 2011
Review copy provided by publisher

3 comments:

kathy@bookskidslike.com said...

What fun!!! Great, unique way to introduce science!

Roberta said...

Oh my, that's a hilarious premise. I definitely have to look this one up.

Sarah said...

Love the title! Judging by the cover alone, I don't think I'm going to be a big fan of the illustrations either but it sounds humorous enough for me to get past that.