Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels review

If I knew Ree Drummond in real life, we would be best friends. Or maybe I would be that girl that really wants to be her best friend, but she's just too cool and funny for me. Either way, I feel like I know her, even just from following her blog and now reading this sweet love story she's shared with us. If you're a follower as well, you definitely know what I'm talking about!

I found out about Ree and her love of Marlboro Man through her cookbook, The Pioneer Woman Cooks. Unfortunately, I haven't even tried any of her recipes, because I'm endlessly attempting to lose a few pounds and each of those deliciously appealing recipes contains a whole lot of butter/salt/fat/yummyness (and I make up my own words, if you didn't notice). After seeing the cookbook, I started following her blogs, though I missed out on the whole online story that eventually led to this book. 

The book is written in the same down-to-earth, lovable way that her blog posts are, therefore making it incredibly readable. I loved feeling that I was witnessing this amazing love affair that really was Ree's life with this man and she really does write as if she's telling you the story over coffee, hilarious mishaps and all. You'll not only see her love story with the man that becomes her husband, but also her transformation from upscale business woman to ranch wife and momma. 

If you're a sucker for a good romance, you'll want to pick this one up for sure, even if you have no clue who Ree Drummond is! Sweet and sappy and all that great romancy stuff, minus the sex (thank you Ree!). 

The Pioneer Woman: Black Heels to Tractor Wheels
Ree Drummond
352 pages
Adult Non-Fiction
William Morrow Publishing
February 2011


Tina's Blog said...

I loved this one, too. It is a nice, clean romance. Doesn't Marlboro Man sound too perfect?!

Three Turtles and Their Pet Librarian said...

Finally got my hands on this, and oh, my goodness! Yes, you would be friends with her, because you are friends with me, and we have slightly parallel lives. (Spoiler alert!) She met her salt-and-pepper Wrangler-wearing guy in a bar, I met mine in a coffee shop. Hers took four months to ask her out, mine took 13 years. Full-grown adults parking in a diesel pick-up. Date interrupted by a grass fire (small difference here - theirs resulted in their first fight, I now have bunker gear in the back of my van.) Off-handed proposal that left her speechless.

Wedding a combination of rednecks and professionals. Pregnant five minutes later, terrible morning sickness. Husband sure he knew what gender the child was, stunned to be wrong. Death of a family member and threat to livelihood (grain prices for him, torn-up shoulder for mine).

We both like to cook - and have had to change our menus to add more red meat, but no matter how terrible it is, both husbands act like it was a great meal. Yep, we might find a thing or two to talk about.

Besides, she seems like a halfway sensible creature - of COURSE she would want to be your best friend!