Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Trouble with Chickens review

Parents, booksellers, librarians...you ALL need to listen up! I have honestly never laughed harder at a book than I did at this one and it needs to get into the hot little hands of all of you and the children in your lives. Absolutely hysterical deadpan humor from the fabulous Doreen Cronin, complete with silly illustrations by the equally talented Kevin Cornell. Hands down the best early chapter book I've ever had the pleasure of coming across. 

J.J. Tully is a retired search-and-rescue dog, happily enjoying the lazy days his retirement when he is bribed (with the promise of a cheeseburger) to take a case by a worried...and crazy... mama chicken. A couple of her chicks are missing and she wants J.J. on the case. 

What follows are mischievous, slightly less-than-smart chickens and a grouchy J.J. Tully, text filled with excellent sarcastic moments, and spit-out-your-coffee moments like these:

"It was a hot, sunny day when I met that crazy chicken. So hot that sometimes I think the whole thing could have been a mirage. But mirages don't have chicken breath, mister." (1)

And that's just on page 1! I kept having to read passages out loud to my husband (not something he enjoys)...couldn't resist!

This would be a great choice for a beginner chapter book or an EXCELLENT choice to read together as a family. Though I'll often recommend sweet and sentimental books for family read alouds, I'm a huge fan of families being silly together and The Trouble with Chickens is a fun jumping off point for a night of silliness! 

Go get your hands on this book and then buy it for all the kids you know!

Check out another quick review over at Hooray for Books! blog.

The Trouble with Chickens: A J.J. Tully Mystery
Doreen Cronin
128 pages
Balzer and Bray
978061215322
March 2011
Review copy provided by publisher

4 comments:

Jes said...

Thanks for the heads up! We are always on the lookout for a good early chapter book for bedtimes stories

Three Turtles and Their Pet Librarian said...

Oh, I do that to Mike, too - and I usually have to follow it with, "well, it's funny in context. You'll just have to read it."

booksdogsandfrogs said...

Man, I was so bummed when they turnned me down for the e-galley on netgalley, but maybe I'll still have to order it to give it a try. I love her other books!

D.A. Tyo said...

I promised myself I was not going to read your review until I posted mine. With mine being just posted, I couldn't wait to read what you thought. Looks like we both loved it! Hooray for Doreen Cronin! Eggs-cellent! :)