Thursday, April 14, 2011

I feel baseball in the air...

Ok, so I'm not a baseball fan. I tried to be for a few years (blame it on a guy), but I could never totally get into it. Just too slow for my liking I suppose! It is definitely the season now and fans all over the country are thrilled to get out to the ballpark again and experience America's favorite sport...and if you have a young baseball fan in your house, you may just want to check out these cool new books.



I Spy with My Little Eye Baseball by Brad Herzog and photographer David Milne

What kid doesn't love an I Spy book? This one places two photos next to each other, all baseball related of course, and has the reader pick out the differences in the photos. There's a specific number of changes for each photo, so the finding process could easily be turned into a timed game. Fun!

Little Baseball by Brad Herzog and illustrator Doug Bowles

I've already handed this one off to my 3-year-old nephew who loves it! Easy riddles reveal simple baseball facts for toddlers. Very basic, but that's perfect for the age level and works as a great introduction to the sport. There's a football one too, but since it's baseball season and all... :)

Lipman Pike: America's First Home Run King by Richard Michelson and illustrator Zachary Pullen

The illustrations in this one are fantastic! Telling the story of how Lipman Pike joined a local baseball club in Brooklyn in the mid-1800's and soon became a professional, much to the dismay of his parents. Over the years he made history for his home runs!

A really nice non-fiction picture book with exceptional illustrations. 

SO, if you're family loves baseball, these would all be great choices to check out!

Thanks, Sleeping Bear Press, for the review copies!




3 comments:

Jes said...

Thank you for reminding me of I-Spy books. Nate adores them and I hadn't even thought to go buy him one, lol. My mommy brain thanks you for the reminder :)

Trish said...

It's all about hockey in our house! Especially right now with the playoffs going on...which reminds me, I need to find some good hockey books!

Ms. Yingling said...

There are a lot more baseball books than anything else, but all the boys want to read basketball and football books. Must be that slowness! And hockey books are hard to find, Trish!