Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Wither review

So much has already been written about the loveliness that is Wither, that I almost didn't bother writing up a review! However, I at least wanted to gush a little bit, so the few of you out there that haven't picked it up yet will hopefully be convinced to run out and do so. It's that good!


I'm definitely a dystopian freak, but I love a good "quiet" book with great characters and Lauren DeStefano acheived a pretty fabulous balance in Wither. The writing is done beautifully, allowing the reader to actually connect with Rhine, despite her strange situation and doomed destiny and, for mWie at least, with each of the other characters in turn. And even with the bleak topic, you're going to want to keep reading to find out what happens next. A fairly impressive combo, I think.

On the back cover, Lisa McMann (another fabulous author) is quoted saying this "Creepy and elegant, shocking and romantic, dreadful and rewarding, delivers unexpected twists." I couldn't agree more. Creepy AND elegant all in the same book!

I was thrilled to find out it would be the first in a trilogy, not only because I loved the actual book, but the cover is awesome as well. I can't wait to see what they come up with for the next book. It's just like Anna Godberson's Luxe series...those dresses!  

Wither 
Lauren DeStefano
368 pages
Young Adult
Simon and Schuster
9781442409057
March 2011
Review copy provided by publisher

7 comments:

Sarah said...

I really enjoyed this book too. It is one of the more engaging dystopian titles I have read recently.

Jes said...

Can't wait to read this! As sonn as I finish Dash and Lily...

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

I really loved this one. It's quiet but I liked that. And I liked how easily I was drawn into the story and how you never really knew who to trust-creepy!

Beth S. said...

I was surprised by this one. I honestly thought it was going to be full of fluff (the cover sort of made me think that) but I soon realized that it is a novel that has substance.

Melissa said...

I've only heard of one person who didn't really LOVE Wither, and I'm pretty sure that she liked it, just not as much as I did.

Glad that you decided to write a review though, even if a bunch of people already have. Who knows - someone might check out your blog and never have seen a review for it elsewhere yet. Just because it's been talked about a lot doesn't mean that you can't contribute anything. :)

Michelle said...

I loved this one! I'm so excited for the next in the series but so sad it's going to be so long until it comes out.

Erica said...

I really loved this one - I'm kind of hot and cold with dystopians, and this one blew me away. I cannot WAIT for book 2!