Thursday, May 26, 2011

In Grandma's Attic (or why I squealed when I opened the mail)

In 1989 I was 6 years old and took a road trip with my family from central New York to the middle of Missouri, on the way to visit my paternal grandparents. I was a fairly shy child and instead of interacting with my family during that time, I kept my face stuffed in a book series that my grandmother had sent me, in anticipation of us being in the car for a long time. Throughout that road trip and that week in the middle of the country, I had my nose in the stories written by Arleta Richardson, reading the sweet stories of Grandma's Attic.

I LOVED those books, but as my mother often did when we "outgrew" something, she sold them in a garage some years later. Then the reissues showed up in my mailbox :)

These books are all based on stories the author's own grandmother told her of childhood on a nineteenth century farm. They're all sweet and simple, inspirational, and teach lessons. They very much remind me of the Little House books in term of their simplicity and the heart that obviously went into the writing. Character-building, but lots of fun!

Each story is rather short, great for reading one each night before bed, and would make a really nice read aloud for families. I think the books are a bit on the girly side, thought there's enough humor injected that your boys might listen too. 

I really love these books and can't wait to get them back into the hands of readers! If you have a kid into reading about nineteenth century life on a farm, with lots of silly stories and a few great lessons, these are your books.

In Grandma's Attic (9780781403799) is available now, as is More Stories from Grandma's Attic (9780781403801), but the reissues of Still More Stories from Grandma's Attic and Treasures from Grandma's Attic will be available in August.


Thanks to Audra Jennings and the B&B Media Group for sending them my way!

7 comments:

LinWash said...

I remember those books! I loved them too. I would love to try to find them again.

Caroline Starr Rose said...

I love reconnecting with old books!

kathy@bookskidslike.com said...

It's wonderful that some classics are being reissued! I echo your sentiment...these books are delightful!!!

Tina's Blog said...

I read and loved these books while growing up. My oldest daughter has read two of them as well. I'm not sure if they are a part of the Grandma's Attic series but Richardson has some other books out that seem to fall into this series, or carry on as the characters age and go off to school and marry. I'm excited they are being reissued.

Three Turtles and Their Pet Librarian said...

The button box! And the hoop skirts! And the doll she set out to dry on the stovetop! Now I have to go reread all of these...but that's not a bad thing:)

Jennifer said...

Nice to know these are being republished - I have several patrons who will enjoy them (I have an incomplete collection myself...)

Honeythorpe said...

I will have to buy these for my nieces. The two books were the favourite of my Sunday School prizes. As a little New Zealand girl who was obsessed with very notion of finding treasures in attics (and basements - both are a rarity here) I have very fond memories of these.