Monday, May 30, 2011

Non-Fiction Monday: A Butterfly is Patient

This one is a companion to An Egg is Quiet and A Seed is Sleepy, both of which I loved, but I think A Butterfly is Patient is my favorite. 

Beautifully illustrated by Sylvia Long, we get brilliant visuals of a huge range of different types of butterflies, from birth to full growth. The brilliant blue of the Pipevine Swallowtail might be my favorite, followed by greens and blues of Queen Alexandra's Birdwing. SO pretty!

The educational portion of the text is short and precise, with a great readability to it. A teacher can easily read this one aloud to her class, without the chance of losing kids to large words or long passages. Quick and to the point is always a plus. Author Diana Hutts Aston as includes beautifully poetic lines that flow from page to page make for a truly fantastic book. 

This book, along with the others in the series, should definitely have a place in your library or elementary classroom. And if you homeschool, run out and get a copy of good!

A Butterfly is Patient 
Dianna Hutts Aston
40 pages
Chronicle Books
May 2011
Review copy provided by publisher


Roberta said...

This is your favorite? I have a copy coming and I'm so excited to see how it compares with the others.

Tasha said...

I loved the first two books, so I'm very thrilled to hear that this one is your favorite! I can't wait to read it.

Amanda said...

I think the gorgeous illustrations of the butterflies are what made this one my favorite :)