Saturday, May 7, 2011

Picture Book Saturday

Press Here by Herve Tullet

This one will most likely be in my top-5 favorite picture books of the year. It has everything i look for in an interactive picture book: a fun concept, bright colors, silliness, and short text.

Using a simple yellow dot, the reader is encouraged to follow exact instructions, each of which leads to more fun on the next page. You'll touch the pages, shake the book, tilt the book, all while fun, bright dots explode on the page. Tons of fun for toddlers and great for getting those that still aren't quite sure if they like books into reading.

Press Here
Herve Tullet
56 pages
Picture Book
March 2011
Review copy provided by publisher

I Spy with My Little Eye by Edward Gibbs

The concept of this one isn't exactly unique--trying to figure out what may be on the page using small clues--but the format of this particular spying book is fantastic. You get a spy hole!

Each page gives a small clue as to what might be hiding on the next page, paired with a spy hole giving a glimpse of the color of the animal. You'll find whales, polar bears, and even an orangutan hiding in the pages!

The illustrations are nice and bright and the pages are large, making it a great storytime read. I used it for a 3 and 4 year old group and they loved it!

I Spy with My Little Eye
Edward Gibbs
32 pages
Picture Book
Templar Books
April 2011
Review copy provided by publisher


Charlotte said...

I agree--Press Here is utterly brilliant!

Beth S. said...

Loved Press Here! So cute!

Janssen said...

Press Here was SO darling! Can't wait to check out I Spy With My Little Eye too!

dollycas aka Lori said...

This looks really good!!