Friday, June 24, 2011

Ashes, Ashes review

I'm a sucker for anything described as "post-apocalyptic" or "dystopian" and the when I saw the cover of this one, I knew I'd be picking it up fairly quickly. I'm a cover-judger, what can I say...

So, Lucy grew up a fairly normal kid, going to high school and dealing with all that comes with being a teenager, and living with her family. When a plague hits the planet, 99% of the population is wiped out, leaving Lucy the only survivor from her family, and virtually all alone, attempting to survive on her own. 

Lucy makes it for over a year, all by herself, before meeting Aidan after he saves her from a pack of dogs. She reluctantly joins up with him and the group he's been living with, knowing that hiding from the Sweepers, a sort of "police-force" that cleans up the dead from the plague and kidnaps the healthy for their own research, may be easier with someone else on her side. They work together to survive and maintain a new normalcy in the midst of a New York City none of us could ever really imagine. 

I was pulled into the book from the cover and with the exception of a couple minor places was held in by the action until the end. I loved Lucy's character, with her strong will and her determination not to give up on surviving, even after losing everything and everyone she's ever known. The romance between Lucy and Aidan was sweet, despite the circumstances, and it was woven into the story well. 

I believe we're looking at a trilogy for this one and though it wasn't my favorite in terms of post-apocalyptic or dystopian novels, I'll definitely look for the others. 

Ashes, Ashes
Jo Treggiari
352 pages
Young Adult
Scholastic
9780545255639
June 2011
Review copy provided by publisher

1 comment:

Jes said...

Sounds kinda like the Life As We Knew It trilogy.