Thursday, June 9, 2011

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand review

I feel like I'm one of the last people to read this book! For the last few months all I've been hearing is raves about Major Pettigrew and now I definitely understand why readers have been so completely enchanted by this story. I fell in love with it.

Major Earnest Pettigrew is a charmer for sure, though he certainly doesn't realize it! Widowed and now quite set in his independent ways, the Major is taken by surprise when he begins falling for the lovely Jasmina Ali, a beautiful and intelligent shopkeeper in town. 

Though the book's main focus tended to be on the Major's missteps while attempting to woo Jasmina, there are also wonderfully witty side stories seamlessly woven in. Greedy relatives wanting to sell the one possession the Major has always cherished of his father's, a group of wealthy and snooty country club characters managing to wrangle the Major into an upcoming themed event, and Jasmina's strict family all play roles, truly drawing the reader into this delightful story. 

I took this book with me to the beach last month and just could not put it down. I laughed out loud more than once (many times in fact) and really appreciated the rich prose of Simonson, dense with beautiful words and an absolutely charming story. Never before have I been so interested in the love life of an older couple, but I was certainly cheering on the Major and Jasmina. 

This would make an excellent book club choice...so many things to talk about! I fell in love with Simonson's writing and I really hope she has more for us soon!

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
Helen Simonson
384 pages
Adult Fiction
Random House
9780812981223
November 2010
Purchased copy

2 comments:

Marg said...

I read this a few months ago and was delighted when my bookclub chose it to read next month, so I get to read it again!

Jes said...

and just why wasn't this one shown to me today...hehe ;)