Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Some inspiration for your week!

Though I do read a fair amount of Christian non-fiction, I definitely don't share a whole lot of it on this blog, more for personal reasons than anything else. I often read these as a form of Bible study and since I don't have conversations about Bible study "stuff" with most of my online friends, I leave a lot of these for word-of-mouth reviews. 

That being said, I really enjoyed these two and wanted to share them with you, in the event that either you or someone you know might enjoy them as well. 

The first, The Fitting Room by Kelly Minter is one of my favorites that I've read in this genre in quite awhile. Using Colossians 3:12 as a focus ("Therefore as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.") we are guided through how we can get rid of negative qualities and literally "clothe ourselves in Christ."

I found Winter funny, insightful, and thought-provoking and her message totally relevant to my life. The chapters are short, which made it perfect for a daily Bible study, but they're deep enough that you'll definitely be able to take away a lot of good self-reflection and new knowledge of the word. 

The Fitting Room
Kelly Minter
208 pages
978143479852
April 2011

The second book I've enjoyed lately is Revise Us Again: Living from a Renewed Christian Script by Frank Viola. The theme is a long the same lines as The Fitting Room, with the idea of revising our lives to become more like Jesus, though this one covers 10 specific areas in a somewhat more serious manner. 

I tend to like a bit of humor thrown in with my Bible study, as it seems to help the information stick. I definitely felt pushed to actually "study" with this one, but I enjoyed being challenged and in the end, came away learning a lot. 



Revise Us Again
Frank Viola
176 pages
9781434768650
April 2011

I was lucky enough to get these for review from the B&B Media Group, so thank you to them. Back to regularly scheduled blogging tomorrow!!

No comments: