Monday, July 18, 2011

Non-Fiction Monday: Rescuing Rover

Ever since adopting our pit bull-mix pound puppy, Shae, almost five years ago it seems any book about rescue dogs seems to find its way into my pretty little hands. Fiction, non-fiction, doesn't matter, I like to read as much as I can about the way dogs are rescued, cared for, and eventually adopted to families like mine. Not all of the books that cross my path are great, but Rescuing Rover was fantastic. 

When reading non-fiction aimed at children, I always look for a great visual presentation along with readable text that is not only educational, but also entertaining. This one has it all! Author Raymond Bial gives a brief overview of the relationship between humans and dogs, followed by an overview of what animal welfare organizations do, and what life in a shelter is like for dogs. 

Great photographs of dogs and such a wealth of information in a great format! Readers can learn about what foster homes are, the dangers of purchasing animals and the connection to puppy mills, the process of adopting a dog, and how an animal shelter is actually operated on a daily basis. 

A special fact section on the ASPCA rounds out a wonderful book that is very close to my heart. 

Rescuing Rover: Saving America's Dogs
Raymond Bial
80 pages
May 2011
Review copy provided by publisher


EmRivet/PeachtreePub said...

I'll definitely be looking for this book! I have a soft spot in my heart for rescue dogs too. Love the ASPCA!

Rasco from RIF said...

Sounds like a great way to bring this issue of rescue dogs into the classroom or other setting where children can begin to learn more about what I consider a very pertinent topic! Thank you!