Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Forever by Maggie Stiefvater, in brief

No spoilers here, just chiming in with my opinion. Don't be afraid to keep reading if you haven't finished the prior two books yet.
"The Wolves of Mercy Falls" was a series I never thought I could get into, as werewolves just "weren't my thing," but after getting to read Shiver on my Nook (the only whole book I ever finished on the thing), I was hooked...and then stayed hooked allllll the way through the next two books.

Forever was a fitting conclusion to a beautifully written story. I thought the characters all wrapped up nicely, though the plot moved more than a bit slow for me in the first half of the book. As usual, I felt there were probably 50 too many pages, but I really appreciated Stiefvater's detailed way of telling us the story, so I didn't mind the length as much as I typically do.

Grace and Sam's romance is lovely and feels realistic. You won't have any doubt that the characters are completely in love and would do anything to keep each other alive and happy. As I said before, things did drag a bit and a lot of it had to do with the constant descriptions of just how much the pair meant to each other, BUT, it worked here. Well, it worked well enough to make me happy overall with how the series ended.

If you haven't tried these books yet, pick up Shiver and give it a shot. And don't be thrown by the colored ink...it will totally grow on you.

Maggie Stiefvater
386 pages
Young Adult
July 2011
Review copy provided by publisher

No comments: