Friday, August 26, 2011

More of "Grandma's Attic!"

Back in May I filled you in on a bit of my childhood reading preferences and my absolute love for the Grandma's Attic" books by Arleta Richardson. The four books are being reissued (hooray!!!) and the first two came out back in the spring. Book 3, Still More Stories from Grandma's Attic and 4, Treasures from Grandma's Attic are available now. 

I'm not kidding when I say that I LOVED this as a kid and love them ust as much re-reading them as they've been reissued. Inspirational stories from a "simpler time" as the blurb on the back states, they are heartwarming and sweet reads. Great to read aloud with children and grandchildren, each quick story features a strong lesson, ranging on topics such as obedience, being trustworthy, sharing, and kindness. 

There is an occasional mention of God, but the books are not overtly religious and I would not label them as Christian fiction. It's more a homage to the time period, when all children and their families went to church on a regular basis and believing in God was the norm. 

The illustrations in these updated versions are fabulous, done by Patrice Barton, and make them look as lovely as the stories are inside. I'm so happy these books are going to get in the hands of more kids!

If you have a fan of the "Little House" books in your family or are just looking for a nice, clean and inspirational read for a young girl, I highly recommend these books. They're out in paperback, so just buy the set!

Review copies provided by publisher. 


Kailana said...

I think this is a great series idea for my friends' daughter. I will have to see about getting the set. :)

Maeve Frazier said...

I would love to read these stories. Thanks for the recommendation!