Wednesday, August 10, 2011

My love for The Help...and the power of an audiobook

Yesterday morning I finally finished the audio of The Help by Kathryn Stockett. 15 cds takes a long time, even when you're in the car for 2+ hours 4 days a week. The story was as amazing as everyone has been saying for the past two years and I am SO glad I listened to it, rather than reading it for the first time. I got a whole lot more out of this listening experience than I have with any other audiobook and I fell totally in love with Stockett's writing at the same time. 

Voiced by three readers, Jenna Lamia, Octavia Spencer, Cassandra Campbell, and Bahni Turpin, I became invested in these women like I never would have been able to through reading the physical book. Their voices, accents, dialects, and manner of getting a point across came through so incredibly clearly and realistically that I could picture these women as they were speaking and could visualize their mannerisms. 

The raw emotion that pours off the pages of this novel (and a debut novel at that) had me laughing and crying, almost simultaneously. I felt like I was in Jackson, Mississippi in the early 1960's, the narration was just that good. If you haven't picked this one up yet...and believe me, I know I'm one of the should definitely grab it in audio. 

Now that I've finished the book, I can go see the movie! Excited!

The Help
Kathryn Stockett
Penguin USA


Maeve Frazier said...

I heard two conversations about this book today. I will have to check it out, it seems to be calling to me.

Susan said...

I love THE HELP, but I'm a little scared to watch the movie. Will it be as good as the book? I hope so!

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Wasn't it amazing? I've been so thrilled to watch the journey of this book: great writing and a gorgeous, heartbreaking, redeeming story make it largely because of readers' word of mouth. A dream!

Melissa @ Mel's Books and Info said...

I haven't read this one yet, but I have heard so much about it. I think you sold me on the audio. Once I finish with my required reading for my committee work I am putting this one on my list to read. I have listened to several books narrated by Jenna Lamia (Secret Life of Bees, Shiver, Linger, Adoration of Jenna Fox, etc...) and have always loved her voice as a narrator. I'm sold! Thanks for the reviewing the audio!

Kailana said...

I know! I read the book just recently so I can see the movie, too. Now to find time to watch it!

Janssen said...

Makes me want to listen to it this time around!

Abby said...

Yay! I'm so glad you liked this one! I have heard that the audiobook is fantastic!!