Friday, September 16, 2011

Glow review

Waverly and Kieran are teens living aboard the Empyrean, the space ship where both were born. Dating and with plans to eventually marry each other (life moves a bit quicker in this future world), the pair are pretty typical 15-year-olds with the worries of regular teenagers, despite living aboard a moving aircraft in outer space. Waverly is fairly certain she wants to spend the rest of her life with the dependable Kieran, but there's still the mysterious and intriguing Seth lingering on her mind. 

When another ship launches an attack on the Empyrean, stealing women and girls off the ship and taking them onto their own, Waverly and Kieran are separated, each being forced to lead their friends and family in different ways, attempting to stand up for what they personally believe in at the same time. 

Waverly and Kieran are joined by an intriguing mix of characters, keeping me on my toes! I was never quite sure who was going to turn out to be a "good guy" and the fast pace of the story kept me turning pages. I liked that we were able to get both Waverly's and Kieran's stories, rather than having a single narrator and I actually enjoyed the whole sci-fi/space ship aspect a lot more than I had expected to. 

Unfortunately, I did have some issues with parts of the plot that I felt were a bit unnecessary. There's a religious aspect that kept popping up, one I bet will be expanded upon in the next couple of books, and I was totally confused by it. I didn't think it needed to be there, it made me uncomfortable, and it just made the whole story feel unbalanced. Like...let's take an adventure story with tons of thrills and add in some religion to...spice it up...? Weird. 

I also had a hard time really liking Kieran, which is ok, I liked enough of the other characters, but something about him just didn't quite feel real to me. Again, maybe his character "flaws" will be explained more in a subsequent book, but in Glow, I was left a little disenchanted. 

Overall, a good choice for fans of books with a certain excitement factor. It's not a perfect book, but it definitely held my attention and kept me turning pages. More exciting than Across the Universe by Beth Revis, but a whole lot less than The Hunger Games

There's a pretty neat Facebook app out there for the book too. You can take a quiz, join a ship, etc. Head over here if you're interested. 

Amy Kathleen Ryan
307 pages
Young Adult
St. Martin's Griffin
September 2011
Review copy provided by publisher

1 comment:

Sara said...

I just got this book from my library. Can't wait to read it!