Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Night Circus review

Magic. Fantasy. A beautiful love story. Competition. A circus unlike any other. You'll find all of these in the pages of The Night Circus, in a brilliant mish-mash of the fantastical and the realistic. A girl and a boy, both magicians, have been bound together in a competition that neither can escape and that spans their entire lives, told that it will only end when one wins. No rules, no boundaries. The story follows the pair, their personal experiences within the circus, and the love that eventually grows between them, as well as a cast of other utterly unique characters, each with their own beautifully written stories. 

I can't think of the words to properly describe the plot without giving away the magic that pours off each page. The reader deserves to experience the brilliance of the writing and the feeling I got as I took my figurative "walk" through Les Cirque des Reves without any clues other than what I've described above. Vague...yes, but necessarily so. Just trust me on this one. I was able to actually visualize every aspect of the circus described, proving just what a talent this new author is and that should be reason alone for you to want to pick this one up!

I couldn't put the book down, yet I wanted to read it slowly to savor this world Erin Morgenstern created. The comparisons to Harry Potter have been made and I totally get them...I wish I could experience those books as I did for the first time and knowing how it feels with HP, I knew I need to truly savor The Night Circus, because no matter how many times I read it, it will never be the same as this first time. 

I finished this book satisfied and thoroughly in love with the characters (ALL of them) and the circus. A beautiful debut that I'm going to be shoving in everyone's hands this fall. 

The Night Circus
Erin Morgenstern
384 pages
Adult Fiction 
September 2011
Review copy 


April (BooksandWine) said...

I agree, I will totally be shoving this one into people's hands this fall as well!

I thought Morgenstern's imagery was scrumptious. Totally wonderful.

Glad you loved The Night Circus!!

Kailana said...

I loved this book! Glad you did, too!

We Heart YA said...

We totally want to read this! We wondered if the POVs would be weird, but it seems like you enjoyed getting a personal tour of the circus, hehe. Thanks for writing the review! We're even more excited than before.

Marg said...

I don't think I have seen a single bad review of this book!

Sun Singer said...

I'm looking forward to reading this one.