Monday, September 12, 2011

Non-Fiction Monday: Fall's Here!

Calling all teachers and homeschooling parents! Fall is definitely making its presence known in my part of the country, as I'm sure it is elsewhere, and school has started. Though I don't have any school age children, I do live directly across the street from a small elementary school and watching the kids walk to school each morning in the fall, with leaves starting to fall and that chill in the air always makes me miss my own school days!

 A great new "fall" oriented series is just out and if you have a kindergartner or first/second grader, you'll want to check them out. Focusing on everything from weather to animals, the "Fall's Here" series is both kid-friendly and totally educational. I don't think I've come across such an appealing mixture of story and fact for this age group and the illustrations are bold and attractive. 

 Each book tells a story of a child experiencing a different aspect of fall. In Fall Pumpkins: Orange and Plump, the characters grow pumpkins all summer long, then harvest them in the fall, make pumpkin pies and jack-o-lanterns and then save the seeds for next year's garden. There are various short fact boxes that tell the reader about different types of pumpkins, how to grow them well, etc. Even a recipe for pumpkin seeds is included in the back. 

The books are incredibly readable, making them great for classroom use on a variety of topics during your fall season. The activities included would be great to incorporate into your units. A full list of the titles in the series is below. 

Fall Pumpkins: Orange and Plump
Fall Harvests: Bringing in Food
Fall Apples: Crisp and Juicy
Fall Weather: Cooler Temperatures
Fall Leaves: Colorful and Crunchy
Animals in Fall: Preparing for Winter

Fall's Here series
Martha E. H. Rustad and illustrator Amanda Enright
Non-Fiction
Millbrook Press
September 2011
Review copies provided by publisher

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I ordered this entire set from one of my library's jobbers! I really liked the illustrations in it and the one I looked at, harvest, talked about harvests from other parts of the world which I thought would be so beneficial to kids. I'm glad to hear the series lives up to its promise!