Monday, September 5, 2011

Non-Fiction Monday: A Zeal of Zebras

Happy Labor Day everyone! For today's Non-Fiction Monday I'm featuring a book I had a great time looking at and learned a little something from as well. 

Collective nouns, when referring to animals, is always an interesting subject to learn about(or at least it is for me). I've known for years that a group of crows is called a murder and a group of ants is referred to as an army, but almost every single grouping of animals in this book was new to me. 

From a galaxy of starfish and an embarrassment of pandas, to a journey of giraffes and a kaleidoscope of butterflies, these groups are COOL! Each letter of the alphabet is paired with a specific grouping of animals/insects/etc., with a short blurb about the animal mentioned.

The illustrations that accompany the animals are amazing and beautiful to look at. The entire book is put together by Woop Studios, which features a group of four friends in graphic design/photography that create gorgeous prints. Their website can be found here and you can actually purchase prints of the animals in the book. 

Librarians and teachers should definitely check this out when teaching on collective nouns and those that just love really cool illustrations will enjoy it as well.

A Zeal of Zebras: An Alphabet of Collective Nouns
Woop Studios
64 pages
Non-Fiction
Chronicle Books
9781452104928
September 2011
Review copy provided by publisher

2 comments:

Sarah said...

This arrived at my library a few weeks ago and it is utterly beautiful. I may buy a copy for myself because I really like the book.

Playing by the book said...

There's something quite magical about collective nouns isn't there!