Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Wonderstruck review


As a reader completely entranced by The Invention of Hugo Cabret, I was thrilled when I saw Selznick had a new book coming out and grabbed a galley as soon as the box was opened at the store. The cover is gorgeous and an excellent precursor to the story inside and even the spine had something mysteriously lovely about it. I knew, even from the cover, that I would be in for a true treat.

We are given two independent stories, Ben's in words and Rose's in illustrations, set 50 years apart, and the manner in which their stories intertwine and weave in and out of each is almost like a puzzle. And a beautiful puzzle at that! Rose is searching for something in her lonely and isolated life and Ben is searching for answers after the death of his mother. Both are on personal journeys that lead them to many of the same places, both literally and figuratively despite the difference in time period.

A bit of mystery, lovely and detailed writing, and amazing illustrations add up to an absolute gem of a book. Another Caldecott in Selznick's future perhaps? I might be one reader crossing my fingers for him. I still think I liked Hugo Cabret a teensy bit better, feeling a tad more magic in the pages, however I loved Wonderstruck and would happily recommend it to children and their parents.


Buy from Powells



Wonderstruck
Brian Selznick
608 pages
Middle Grade
Scholastic
9780545027892
September 2011
Review copy provided by publisher

3 comments:

kathy@bookskidslike.com said...

Thank you so much for reviewing this! I have a copy on reserve at the library...can't wait!

Kailana said...

I was all set to buy this and it was unavailable! I was sad. I haven't tried again because I am a little worried a book I did buy got lost in the mail. Waiting for that safely to arrive and then hopefully buying this one!

Amanda said...

From Powell's? Their shipping times are definitely a lot slower than the big-name places. I live in VA and they ship from OR, so it usually takes 2-3 weeks for my orders to arrive.