Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A Monster Calls review

I am a huge fan of the "Chaos Walking" series by Patrick Ness and I was more than a bit apprehensive to pick up a new book by him, knowing that it was absolutely nothing like his previous novels. I was afraid it would fall short and my literary crush would be forced to dissipate. Definitely didn't want that to happen, so I almost didn't even read this one! That would have been a very bad decision.

Ness creates a character in 13-year-old Conor that leaves the reader heartbroken, yet hopeful. His mom is sick with cancer, slowly succombing to the disease, though Conor believes a monster that comes to him in his backyard can cure her. Different from the monster that has invaded Conor's nightmares since his mother became sick, this one actually communicates with him, wanting something from Conor.

The story, mixed with bold black and white illustrations, is one the reader will not soon be able to forget. Thought-provoking, humbling, and simply beautiful in structure, Conor will fill your heart with the sadness he's feeling, while finally allowing the possibility of his own healing process to come to light. It will haunt you, but in the most perfect of ways.

I loved every minute I spent with this book and highly recommend it!

Buy from IndieBound
Buy from Powells

A Monsters Call
Patrick Ness
224 pages
Young Adult
Candlewick
9780763655594
October 2011
Review copy provided by publisher


I am an affiliate of both IndieBound and Powells and will receive a small percentage of the purchase price.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I'm glad you liked this one. I wanted to just totally adore it and that didn't happen. I still love Ness, though. I'm hoping he's working on something Chaos Walking-ish next!

Kailana said...

I wasn't as big a fan of the Chaos Walking Trilogy as others, so I was a bit worried about this book. I wound up loving it! It was so well done!