Saturday, October 8, 2011

Picture Book Saturday

Stars by Mary Lyn Ray and illustrator Marla Frazee

Combine a super sweet story with one of my favorite illustrators and you'll definitely have winner on your hands. Going down as one of my favorites of the year, Stars is incredibly simple, explaining all the wonderful places one might find stars and just what those stars can mean.

From being given a shiny star for doing something great, to blowing on a dandelion and releasing thousands of stars into the sky, this is an absolutely beautiful representation about appreciating the little things in life. One of my favorites of the year...though I think I say that about anything Marla Frazee is involved in!

I'll definitely be giving this one out as a gift this Christmas!

Buy from IndieBound
Buy from Powells



Stars
Mary Lyn Ray
40 pages
Picture Book
Beach Lane
9781442422490
October 2011
Review copy provided by publisher

Grandpa Green by Lane Smith

I've never come across a Lane Smith book that I didn't like and I think this one will be going on the "love" shelf! A beautiful telling of Great-Grandpa Green's life, through the amazing topiary trees he created in the garden. It's not only an exploration of family history from a young boy's perspective, but also a whimsical look at just what can be made out of nature.

I loved the flow of the story and though the concept is rather serious, the overall feel is that of wonder and amazement. Learning about heritage is incredibly important in one's family and this book might get your younger children asking questions about their own families.

An absolutely lovely book! Pick one up for grandparents or your own grandchildren!

Buy from IndieBound
Buy from Powells


Grandpa Green
Lane Smith
32 pages
Picture Book
Roaring Brook Press
978159436077
August 2011
Review copy provided by publisher

Reaching by Judy Ann Sadler and illustrator Susan Mitchell

 If you have a baby shower gift to buy, keep your eyes on the lookout for this book! A new baby has arrived and his large family all has different ways of showing him love. From Oma playing peek-a-boo to puppy licking baby's face and sister tickling, the whole family loves their new addition and has wonderful ways of showing it. 

A very simple concept presented with a great rhyming flow. I loved that the extended family was all included in the story and the soft illustrations make for a nice book to read before bedtime.

I think I would have liked to see this as a board book, rather than a picture book, as the age range could definitely be infant-toddler and the pages are pretty easy to tear. I'm all about durability!

Buy from IndieBound
Buy from Powells

Reaching
Judy Ann Sadler
40 pages 
Picture Book
Kids Can Press
9781554534562
August 2011
Review copy provided by publisher

1 comment:

Beth S. said...

I loved Grandpa Green too. Definitely a new picture book to add to the "favorites" pile!