Saturday, October 22, 2011

Picture Book Saturday

How Do You Feed a Hungry Giant? by Caitlin Friedman and illustrator Shaw Nielson

Though it's not every day little boys find giants in their backyard, Oscar knows he can't turn away from this one. This poor giant is HUNGRY, or so his sign says. Oscar proceeds to do everything he can to help fill the giant's belly, from bunches of grapes to pizzas and jars of peanut butter. Nothing seems to help! Eventually, Oscar really does have to ask himself: how DO you feed a hungry giant?

The text is simple and bold on the page and the illustrations also evoke a sense of simplicity, which was really nice to see. A lot of "busy" illustrations in books today and this one was just the right match for the story. The addition of a few pull tabs, lift-the-flaps, and pop-ups keep things interesting without being over the top.

Two thumbs up!

Buy from IndieBound
Buy from Powells

How Do You Feed a Hungry Giant?
Caitlin Friedman
32 pages
Picture Book
Workman
978076157526
October 2011
Review copy provided by publisher

I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen

Poor bear has lost his hat. Sad day. He goes around asking his fellow woodland dwellers whether or not they're seen the hat, all responding that they hadn't...except for one fellow, who definitely responds NO, but careful watchers will see otherwise. When the bear figures out who indeed does have his hat, he definitely gets it back...quietly, calmly, and in a very "bear-like" way.

Spoiler!!

(The bear eats the rabbit.)

Loved this one! Another simple story, but is one has a quirky twist at the end that will delight kids and probably cause some parents to put it back on the shelf. Those are always the best books I think. Add a little pizzazz to your reading pile!


Buy from IndieBound
Buy from Powells

I Want My Hat Back
Jon Klassen
40 pages
Picture Book
Candlewick
9780763655983
September 2011
Review copy provided by publisher



I am an affiliate of both IndieBound and Powells and will receive a small percentage of the purchase price.

2 comments:

Jes said...

Haha! We have a book that involves tigers turning into butter and being spread on pancakes...

Ami said...

The first time I read "I Want My Hat Back" I made some sort of very loud sound and clapped my hand to my mouth. Of course, there was a table full of teens sitting in front of me who wanted to know what I had just read, so i had to read it out loud to them. Then, when some friends joined them, they made me read it to them. That is probably the only way I will get away with reading it out loud to anyone - parents would have a fit in story time - but it sure is fun to read that way!