Monday, October 24, 2011

Week in Review

Well, better late than never right? This post is coming to you on a Monday, rather than my usual Sunday, because I had such a fun, fabulous weekend, I was just too tired to write one up last night. 

Saturday brought an awesome way to serve at our church, along with 250 others (just for our shift). We helped package a total of 142,000 meals to send to Haiti for hunger relief, via the assistance of an organization called Stop Hunger Now

They go all around the country, hosting these volunteer events, and having people like us package these meals and then ship them to areas where people are suffering from extreme hunger and poverty. Our church has a special connection to Haiti, my husband even went on a mission trip there after the earthquake, so we loved being able to help even more. 

After that, it was off to the mall with my small group ladies for a loooooong (but FUN) afternoon/evening of shopping and visiting. Left he house at 730am and didn't get home until almost 9pm! Hard day on my feet, but a joyful one. 

Sunday brought a trip to the Shenandoah Valley for Aaron and I. We've been wanting to drive Skyline Drive and see the foliage each fall since we've been here, but had yet to actually do so. We figure doing it before this little man arrives is a good plan, so we packed up the dogs, drove the hour there and proceeded to take some fantastic photos and enjoy an amazing fall day. 
We wish we had thought to pack up a lunch and then we could have spent even longer, but once in the Shenandoah National Park (which charges a ridiculous rate to get in btw), there really isn't any place to get food! And trust me, after a couple of hours, I'll fight someone for a sandwich ;)

We did talk about going back this spring/summer for a day trip with the baby and packing up food and books and enough stuff to really enjoy the woods and the gorgeous views. It's such a beautiful place, I highly recommend driving it if you're ever in this part of the country.

Oh...and the girls had a blast too! Shae loves anything that has to do with being outside and Zoey just wants to be with people, so they enjoyed themselves playing outside and hanging their heads out the window. So glad we decided to take them.

Alright, enough of that...onto the "normal" Week in Review stuff.


I'm in the middle of listening to Maine by Courtney J. Sullivan and have become quite invested in these characters' lives! It's one of the first times that there are actually characters I really, really don't like and I'm still enjoying the book. A great listen so far. 

I had a rough week in terms of physical books, not being able to find one that fit the mood I was in. I'm finally about 1/4 of the way into The Homecoming of Samuel Lake by Jenny Wingfield, as well as an advanced copy of an upcoming middle grade novel called Storybound by Marissa Burt. Honestly, I'm ready for 2011 to be over, so I can get my hands on 2012's to hoping I won't have such a streak of reading slumps next year. 


This week, I'm being told the baby is the size of an eggplant or a Chinese cabbage. Not entirely sure what a Chinese cabbage even is, but he's around 2lbs and about 13-14inches long. I hit 28 weeks yesterday...hooray for the 3rd trimester!

Hope you all enjoyed your week!


Ami said...

Look at your cute little baby belly! Sounds like a fantastic weekend!

Susan said...

Oooh, I'm jealous of all that beautiful fall foliage. It's still hot, brown and dry here in the Phoenix area. I miss the changing seasons SO much this time of year.

Glad you guys are all doing so well. Here's to a nice, healthy, uneventful third trimester!