Friday, October 28, 2011

What You Wish For: A Book for Darfur

Short stories aren't always my thing, but I knew if a book was raising money for an awesome cause, I at least wanted to give it a shot. This collection has stories by some of my favorite authors in the MG/YA genres, including John Green, Francisco X. Stork, Jeanne DuPrau, among others. It has loads going for it...and I chose it as our book club read at Hooray for Books, for October. We ended up having a great discussion!

Though I wasn't totally smitten with all of the stories and poems included in the book, I did appreciate the theme of wishes. Each story had something to do with making a wish, having a wish come true, or what a wish actually meant to the characters involved. I loved Cynthia Voight's "Stepsister," a reimagined Cinderella tale (with a bit of a gruesome ending), and Nikki Giovanni's poem "I Wish I Could Live (in a Book)" was definitely appropriate and fun.

Green and Stork definitely made me happy with their stories, "Reasons" and "The Rules for Wishing," both ending up more on the YA end of the book, which is probably why I liked them a little more.

Overall, a fun book of stories for a great cause. All of the proceeds of the book go to supporting library development in Darfuri refugee camps through Book Wish Foundation. If you have a reader who is hard to buy for, I would definitely recommend picking this one up. A great introduction to some top notch authors/poets and the proceeds all go to charity. Win-win!

Buy from IndieBound
Buy from Powells

What You Wish For: A Book for Darfur
Book Wish Foundation
288 pages
Middle Grade/Young Adult
G.P. Putnam's Sons
9780399254543
September 2011
Review copy provided by publisher

I am an affiliate of both IndieBound and Powells and will receive a small percentage of the purchase price.

No comments: