Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Michael Hague's Treasured Classics review

Since finding out I was pregnant back in May, I've been constantly on the lookout for great books to add to my new little one's enormous bookcase. I have some favorites of course, but I wanted a collection of stories that not only had nice illustrations, but also contained specific stories I knew and loved as a child. I want to use the book as a connector between my child and myself and finding the right story collection just wasn't happening. 

When this one came in my mailbox a few weeks ago, I was instantly taken by the cover. It looked old. Not old as in "dated and ugly," but old as in "from my childhood." Definitely a good thing! No bright, splashy colors, just a cool design depicting Jack from "Jack and the Beanstalk." 

I was THRILLED to find a listing of some of my favorite stories, including "The Three Billy Goats Gruff," "The Story of Chicken-Licken," and "The Ugly Duckling." The stories are pretty much as I remember them, though some changes may have been made...it's been quite awhile since I've actually read a lot of them, but for the most part they were just as I wanted. 

Just a quick side note. One of my favorite childhood memories is of my mom reading me "The Story of Chicken-Licken." Not sure when the silly name...which I love...turned into "Chicken Little," but I was really excited to see the original name.

The illustrations are excellent! Not too modern and fitting of some of the darker stories. I mean...the troll in "The Three Billy Goats Gruff" is supposed to be scary...not cute, as is the wolf from "The Three Little Pigs." Yes, they might be a might evil looking for sensitive children, but I think they fit in with the stories perfectly. 

I can see myself giving this book as a baby shower gift, birthday gift, Baptism gift, etc. It's a book to grow with a child and be shared within a family. I'm so excited to have one in time for Baby Snow to arrive and I know his daddy and I will love reading him the stories as he gets older.

Buy from IndieBound
Buy from Powells


Michael Hague's Treasured Classics
Michael Hague
133 pages
Picture Book Collection
9780911949043
October 2011
Review copy provided by publisher

I am an affiliate of both IndieBound and Powells and will receive a small percentage of the purchase price.

No comments: