Monday, November 7, 2011

Non-Fiction Monday: Balloons Over Broadway

What a FABULOUS book! I cannot say enough good things about Melissa Sweet's latest book, as it's not only packed with a unique, informative story, but the illustrations are just amazing. My poor husband was getting annoyed with me as I read through it, constantly telling him little tidbits of information about Tony Sarg and his Macy's puppets. So much to learn and about such a cool subject. Kids AND adults will be clamoring for this one, I think.

Readers are able to learn about the journey that all started with a 6-year-old boy wanting to become a marionette man when he grew up. That boy ended up helping to create the puppets that make up the world famous Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, through hard work and a fair amount of genius when it came to marionettes and puppets. I mean, really, who would think to turn a marionette puppet upside-down?? Obviously, Tony Sarg was much smarter than me.

The visuals are outstanding, allowing us fascinated readers to spend lots of time on each page, looking at the quirkiness that Melissa Sweet has created. Her mixed-media collage illustrations are bold and definitely standout. 

This was a part of history that I had not been familiar with previously and I'm sure a lot of other children and adults will appreciate learning all about how the Macy's Day parade came to be. It's a whimsical book, filled with fun and wonder, making the educational experience an absolute treat. I loved it!

Balloons Over Broadway: The True Story of the Puppeteer of Macy's Parade
Melissa Sweet
32 pages
Houghton Mifflin
October 2011
Review copy provided by publisher


Never That Easy said...

The parade is one of my favorite parts of Thanksgiving: I'm going to search for this so we can find out more about it - Thanks!

Abby said...

I loved this book!!!! :D :D

shelf-employed said...

A great book for sharing this time of year!

Sarah said...

LOVE this book! It's been in high demand at my library. I think I'm going to have to buy my own copy of it. It's gorgeous.