Saturday, November 5, 2011

Picture Book Saturday

Very Hairy Bear by Alice Schertle and illustrator Matt Phelan

The picture book version of this was published way back in 2007, but since it's just now coming out in board book form (and it's a new-to-me book altogether), I thought it should count for a Picture Book Saturday post. And I love Matt Phelan. He's my illustrator crush (along with Kadir Nelson and John Rocco, of course).

When I read this, I couldn't believe I hadn't read it before! I fell in love with the sweet story of a very hairy bear (except for his no-hair nose) and the lovely flow Schertle created. We follow the bear through the seasons as he searches for salmon, snacks on yummy blueberries, and eventually cuddles up for a nice, long sleep. 

The story is utterly charming and the illustrations are just lovely. A fantastic and unique choice for a story time, as it's quieter than most, but engrossing, and perfect for a one-on-one read with your toddler or preschooler. I loved it!

Buy from IndieBound
Buy from Powells

Very Hairy Bear 
Alice Schertle
30 pages
Board Book
Houghton Mifflin
October 2011
Review copy provided by publisher


Charlotte said...

My little one and I love this one so much! (Especially the line "if there's a bear there.")

I'm glad you liked it too!

Peaceful Reader said...

I'm not familiar with this title either but love books with bear characters, like A Visitor for Bear.